Fourth of July Pound Cake Trifle
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 pound cake of choice, we suggest using Trip’s Lemon Crisp Cake from The Very- Vera Cookbook: Recipes from My Table (page 151)
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, sliced with stems removed
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries, optional
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (5-ounce) package instant French Vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cube the pound cake into about 1-inch pieces. You will need enough cake cubes to make three layers in the trifle dish. Mix together the berries and sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl, beat together the pudding mix and whole milk. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth and creamy. Add in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Fold in the pudding mixture.
- To assemble the trifle, start with 1⁄3 of the cake cubes in the bottom of the container. Dollop 1⁄3 of the custard mixture, then 1⁄3 of the berry mixture on top. Continue layering cake, custard, and berries until all ingredients are used. (You may have leftover pound cake.)
- Cover and refrigerate the trifle until ready to serve. This dessert can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.