This traditional chili recipe has ground beef, beans, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasonings. It is perfect for a football party!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion- diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper-optional
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 (15oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes. Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained
beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat
(low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili,
uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let chili rest for 5-10
minutes before serving.