Prep Time: 25m
Cook Time: 10m
Total Time: 1h 30m
Yield: 3 Dozen
- 1 stick Unsalted butter
- 1/3 c Granulated sugar
- 1/3 c Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large Egg (beaten)
- 1 sleeve Saltines (finely crushed)
- 3/4 c Roasted peanuts (finely chopped)
For filling and glaze
- 1/4 c Grape jelly
- 7 tbsp. + 1 tsp. Unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/3 c Reese’s creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 c Confectioners’ sugar
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending it over the sides.
- Use double boiler (instructions below) to melt butter, then stir in the sugar and cocoa. Whisk in the egg until the mixture is warm and the consistency of hot fudge, approx. 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mix in the saltine crumbs and peanuts. Press the crust into the pan. Set aside saucepan of water to be used for the glaze.
- Spread jelly over the crust in the pan; place in freezer for a few minutes.
- Beat 5 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. butter, peanut butter and confectioners\’ sugar with a mixer until light. Spread over the jelly layer; return to the freezer while you make the glaze.
- Using double boiler again, place the chocolate and the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a glass bowl and set over the pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- When cool but still runny, spread the glaze over the chilled peanut butter layer. Freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Use the foil flaps to remove the bars from the pan; cut into squares while still cold.
- Serve cold and keep leftovers refrigerated.